Both houses saw continuous adjournments as certain members protested and sought action against an individual following Enforcement Directorate and Income Tax raids in the state of Tamil Nadu. The government ensured the members that they would take up a discussion on the issue if the members moved a substantive motion.
The Leader of Opposition was scheduled to call the attention of the Minister of Home Affairs to the ‘inflammatory speeches made by a Minister in the Union Government and elected representatives violating the Constitution and oath of office’. However due to the continued protests, the discussion could not be taken up.
Some highlights of this month’s issue are:
1. Union Budget 2016-17 presented in Parliament
2. Budget session: President’s address highlights agenda on macroeconomy, energy, etc
3. Railways Budget 2016-17: estimates increase in revenue by 10%, expenditure by 13%
4. Economic Survey 2015-16 presented in Parliament
5. GDP grows at 7.3% in the third quarter of 2015-16
6. TRAI prohibits service providers from charging differential tariffs for data services
7. Election Laws (Amendment) Bill, 2016 passed by Parliament
8. Standing Committees on Finance and Environment submit reports on Non-Performing Assets and Compensatory Afforestation Fund Bill respectively
9. Government sets up Tax Policy Research Unit and Tax Policy Council
10. Detailed instructions released on implementation of OROP