- IntroducedRajya SabhaAug 06, 2013Gray
- ReferredStanding CommitteeAug 06, 2013Gray
- ReportStanding CommitteeDec 09, 2013Gray
- The Rajasthan Legislative Council Bill, 2013 was introduced in the Rajya Sabha on August 6, 2013 and has been referred to the Standing Committee on Law and Justice.
- The Bill provides for the creation of the Legislative Council for the state of Rajasthan.
- Article 169(1) of the Constitution provides that Parliament may abolish or create a Legislative Council in a state. For Parliament to do so, the Legislative Assembly of the state has to pass a resolution to that effect by a majority of the total membership of the Assembly.
- On April 18, 2012, the Rajasthan Legislative Assembly passed a resolution to create a Legislative Council for the state of Rajasthan with 66 members.
DISCLAIMER: This document is being furnished to you for your information. You may choose to reproduce or redistribute this report for noncommercial purposes in part or in full to any other person with due acknowledgement of PRS Legislative Research (“PRS”). The opinions expressed herein are entirely those of the author(s). PRS makes every effort to use reliable and comprehensive information, but PRS does not represent that the contents of the report are accurate or complete. PRS is an independent, not-for-profit group. This document has been prepared without regard to the objectives or opinions of those who may receive it.