- IntroducedRajya SabhaDec 18, 2008Gray
- ReferredStanding CommitteeSep 14, 2009Gray
- ReportStanding CommitteeFeb 26, 2009Gray
- PassedLok SabhaMay 18, 2012Gray
- PassedRajya SabhaDec 22, 2011Gray
- The Railway Property (Unlawful Possession) Amendment Bill, 2008 was introduced in the Rajya Sabha on December 18, 2008. The Bill was referred to the Standing Committee on Railways (Chairperson: Shri Basudeb Acharia), which submitted its report on February 26, 2009.
- The Railway Property (Unlawful Possession) Act, 1966 is related to unlawful possession of property belonging to the railway. The Bill amends the Act by strengthening the provisions that curb the offence of theft of railway property.
- The Bill enlarges the ambit of the law to include offences due to abetment or conspiracy to an offence of theft and misappropriation of railway property.
- The Bill allows an inquiry officer of the Railway Protection Force to inquire into thefts of railway property on receiving information about the commission of an offence under the law.