- IntroducedRajya SabhaAug 26, 2013Gray
- ReferredStanding CommitteeSep 05, 2013Gray
- ReportStanding CommitteeDec 17, 2013Gray
- WithdrawnRajya SabhaJan 03, 2019Gray
- The Nalanda University (Amendment Bill), 2013 was introduced in the Rajya Sabha on September 5, 2013 by the Ministry of External Affairs and has been referred to the Standing Committee for detailed examination. The Act establishes Nalanda University in Bihar as a result of decisions taken at the East Asia Summits.
- Under the Act, the University is a non-profit public-private partnership, supported by each member country as well as other sources. The Bill amends the Act to provide for the Government of India to meet the university’s capital and recurring expenditure to the extent required.
- The powers of the University are amended to include the power to set up a consortium of international partners to meet the objectives of the University, and appoint persons working in any other University or academic institution, including those located outside India, as faculty of the University.
- The size of the Governing Board of the University is being increased to include two persons of eminence and two members from the academic faculty of the University. The Bill also makes provision for the appointment of Deans and Provosts.
DISCLAIMER: This document is being furnished to you for your information. You may choose to reproduce or redistribute this report for noncommercial purposes in part or in full to any other person with due acknowledgement of PRS Legislative Research (“PRS”). The opinions expressed herein are entirely those of the author(s). PRS makes every effort to use reliable and comprehensive information, but PRS does not represent that the contents of the report are accurate or complete. PRS is an independent, not-for-profit group. This document has been prepared without regard to the objectives or opinions of those who may receive it.