- IntroducedLok SabhaNov 26, 2012Gray
- ReferredStanding CommitteeDec 28, 2012Gray
- ReportStanding CommitteeSep 06, 2013Gray
- The Central Universities (Amendment) Bill, 2012 was introduced in the Lok Sabha on November 26, 2012 by the Minister of Human Resource Development, Shri M.M. Pallam Raju. The Bill seeks to amend the Central Universities Act, 2009, which established universities for teaching and research in various states. It also provided for the establishment of a central university in Bihar.
- The Bihar legislature passed a resolution requesting the central government to establish a university in Motihari. Also, some Members of Parliament demanded that Bihar be given more than one central university to speed up the development of the state.
- This Bill seeks to allow for the establishment of two central universities in Bihar to be known as the Central University of South Bihar and the Central University of North Bihar. The locations of the universities are Motihari and Gaya.
DISCLAIMER: This document is being furnished to you for your information. You may choose to reproduce or redistribute this report for noncommercial purposes in part or in full to any other person with due acknowledgement of PRS Legislative Research (“PRS”). The opinions expressed herein are entirely those of the author(s). PRS makes every effort to use reliable and comprehensive information, but PRS does not represent that the contents of the report are accurate or complete. PRS is an independent, not-for-profit group. This document has been prepared without regard to the objectives or opinions of those who may receive it.