- IntroducedRajya SabhaAug 05, 2019Gray
- PassedRajya SabhaAug 05, 2019Gray
- WithdrawnRajya SabhaAug 07, 2019Gray
- The Jammu and Kashmir Reservation (Second Amendment) Bill, 2019 was introduced in Rajya Sabha on August 5, 2019 by the Minister of Home Affairs, Mr. Amit Shah. The Bill amends the Jammu and Kashmir Reservation Act, 2004. The Act provides for reservation in appointment in state government posts, and admission to professional institutions, for certain reserved categories. Professional institutions include government medical colleges, dental colleges, and polytechnics.
- The Act provides for reservation in appointment (by direct recruitment) in state government posts for Scheduled Castes, Scheduled Tribes, and socially and educationally backward classes. Further, it provides for reservation in admission in professional institutions for certain reserved categories. The Bill additionally provides for reservation in appointment and admission in professional institutions for economically weaker sections. Economically weaker sections will be notified by the government on the basis of family income and other indicators of economic disadvantage.
- The reservations of upto 10% for economically weaker sections in appointment and admission to professional institutions will be in addition to the existing reservation under the Act.
DISCLAIMER: This document is being furnished to you for your information. You may choose to reproduce or redistribute this report for non-commercial purposes in part or in full to any other person with due acknowledgement of PRS Legislative Research (“PRS”). The opinions expressed herein are entirely those of the author(s). PRS makes every effort to use reliable and comprehensive information, but PRS does not represent that the contents of the report are accurate or complete. PRS is an independent, not-for-profit group. This document has been prepared without regard to the objectives or opinions of those who may receive it.