- PromulgatedApr 24, 2020
- NegativedSep 18, 2020
- The Indian Medicine Central Council (Amendment) Ordinance, 2020 was promulgated on April 24, 2020. The Ordinance amends the Indian Medicine Central Council Act, 1970. The Act provides for the constitution of a Central Council which regulates the education and practice of the Indian Medicine system (includes Ayurveda, Yoga, Naturopathy).
- Supersession of the Central Council: The Ordinance amends the 1970 Act to provide for the supersession of the Central Council. The Central Council will be reconstituted within one year from the date of its supersession. In the interim period, the central government will constitute a Board of Governors, which will exercise the powers of the Central Council.
- Board of Governors: The Board of Governors (Board) will consist of up to ten members. The members must be persons of eminence in the field of Indian Medicine, and eminent administrators. They may be either nominated members or ex officio members, appointed by the central government. The central government will select one member to be the Chairperson of the Board.
- The Board will exercise the powers and discharge the functions of the Central Council set up under the 1970 Act. These include regulating the practice and education of Indian Medicine.
- Powers of the central government: The Board and the Central Council (after its reconstitution) will be bound by directions of the central government on questions related to policy matters (other than technical and administrative matters).
DISCLAIMER: This document is being furnished to you for your information. You may choose to reproduce or redistribute this report for non-commercial purposes in part or in full to any other person with due acknowledgment of PRS Legislative Research (“PRS”). The opinions expressed herein are entirely those of the author(s). PRS makes every effort to use reliable and comprehensive information, but PRS does not represent that the contents of the report are accurate or complete. PRS is an independent, not-for-profit group. This document has been prepared without regard to the objectives or opinions of those who may receive it.