Consumer Affairs and Food Distribution
- IntroducedLok SabhaDec 08, 2011Gray
- ReferredStanding CommitteeJan 05, 2012Gray
- ReportStanding CommitteeAug 30, 2012Gray
- The Warehousing Corporations (Amendment) Bill, 2011 was introduced in the Lok Sabha by K.V. Thomas, the Minister of Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution on December 8, 2011. The Bill was referred to the Standing Committee on Food, Consumer Affairs and Public Distribution on January 5, 2012, which is scheduled to submit its report in three months.
- The Bill amends the Warehousing Corporations Act, 1962. The Act established Central and State Warehousing Corporations for the purpose of warehousing of agricultural produce and other commodities.
- The Central Warehousing Corporation (CWC) is a Public Sector Enterprise that has been awarded Mini-Ratna status. Mini Ratnas do not get financial support or government guarantees. The Bill amends the Act by removing provisions for any financial support or guarantee given to the CWC by the central government. It maintains the provision of financial support or guarantee given by state governments to State Warehousing Corporations.