- IntroducedLok SabhaAug 02, 2011Gray
- PassedStanding CommitteeAug 18, 2011Gray
- PassedRajya SabhaAug 29, 2011Gray
The Bill was introduced in Lok Sabha on 2 August 2011. A copy of the Bill can be downloaded from this page.
- The Indian Medical Council (Amendment) Bill, 2011 was introduced in the Lok Sabha on August 2, 2011 by the Minister of Health and Family Welfare, Shri Ghulam Nabi Azad. The Bill was passed by the Lok Sabha on August 18, 2011 and the Rajya Sabha on August 29, 2011.
- The Bill amends the Indian Medical Council Act, 1956, which provided for the constitution of the Medical Council of India (MCI) and the maintenance of a medical register.
- The Act was amended by the Indian Medical Council (Amendment) Ordinance, 2010 (later enacted as a law), which provided for superseding the MCI for one year with effect from May 15, 2010. A Board of Governors, constituted by the central government, would perform the functions of the MCI. The amending Act also stated that the MCI had to be reconstituted within one year of supersession i.e. by May 14, 2011.
- An Ordinance was promulgated on May 10, 2011 to increases the period in which the MCI has to be reconstituted from one year to two years. It also increased the term of office of the Board of Governors to one more year.
- The Bill ratifies the Ordinance.