- IntroducedLok SabhaAug 05, 2016Gray
- PassedLok SabhaAug 09, 2016Gray
- PassedRajya SabhaAug 11, 2016Gray
- The Central Agricultural University (Amendment) Bill, 2016 was introduced in Lok Sabha by Mr. Sudarshan Bhagat, Minister of State for Agriculture and Farmers Welfare on August 5, 2016. The Bill proposes to amend the Central Agricultural University Act, 1992.
- The Act provides for the establishment of a University in the north eastern region for the development of agriculture, and advancement of research in agriculture and allied sciences. It states that the University is responsible for teaching and research in the field of agriculture for the north eastern states.
- The Act defines the north eastern region as comprising the states of Arunachal Pradesh, Manipur, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Sikkim and Tripura. The Bill amends this definition to include the state of Nagaland.
DISCLAIMER: This document is being furnished to you for your information. You may choose to reproduce or redistribute this report for noncommercial purposes in part or in full to any other person with due acknowledgement of PRS Legislative Research (“PRS”). The opinions expressed herein are entirely those of the author(s). PRS makes every effort to use reliable and comprehensive information, but PRS does not represent that the contents of the report are accurate or complete. PRS is an independent, not-for-profit group. This document has been prepared without regard to the objectives or opinions of those who may receive it.