- IntroducedLok SabhaDec 09, 2016
- PassedLok SabhaMar 28, 2017
- PassedRajya SabhaJul 26, 2017
- The National Institutes of Technology, Science Education and Research (Second Amendment) Bill, 2016 was introduced by the Minister of Human Resource Development, Mr. Prakash Javadekar in Lok Sabha on December 9, 2016.
- The Bill amends the National Institutes of Technology, Science Education and Research Act, 2007 (NITSER Act). The NITSER Act declares certain institutions of technology, science education and research as Institutes of National Importance and provides for research, training and dissemination of knowledge in these institutions.
- The 2007 Act was amended in 2012 to include a number of new institutes within its ambit. A Second Schedule was added to include new Indian Institutes of Science Education and Research under the 2007 Act.
- Incorporation of two institutes: The Bill adds two institutes to the Second Schedule of the NITSER Act: (i) Indian Institute of Science Education and Research, Tirupati (Andhra Pradesh); and (ii) Indian Institute of Science Education and Research, Berhampur (Odisha).
DISCLAIMER: This document is being furnished to you for your information. You may choose to reproduce or redistribute this report for noncommercial purposes in part or in full to any other person with due acknowledgement of PRS Legislative Research (“PRS”). The opinions expressed herein are entirely those of the author(s). PRS makes every effort to use reliable and comprehensive information, but PRS does not represent that the contents of the report are accurate or complete. PRS is an independent, not-for-profit group. This document has been prepared without regard to the objectives or opinions of those who may receive it.