The President addressed the Parliament on 12 March 2012. Below are some items from the agenda of the central government as outlined in the speech. Legislation
- A Bill to eliminate manual scavenging and insanitary latrines shall be introduced in Parliament.
- New legislation is being considered for persons with disabilities, in order to replace the existing Act.
- A Bill to provide for a uniform regulatory environment to protect consumer interests, enable speedy adjudication and ensure growth of the real estate sector shall be introduced.
- A Bill to create a Civil Aviation Authority to ensure safe and affordable air services will be introduced this year.
- The government is working on legislation for safeguarding and promoting the livelihoods of street vendors.
- Amendments shall be made to the Child Labour (Prohibition and Regulation) Act to prohibit employment of children less than 14 years of age.
- Government will aim for early enactment of the Land Acquisition, Rehabilitation and Resettlement Bill.
- 1500 new Industrial Training Institutes and 5000 Skill Development Centres shall be set up. Skill training will be provided to 85 lakh people during 2012-13 and to 800 lakh people during the 12th Plan.
- A National Mission for Teachers shall be established to improve teacher education and faculty development .
- The National Urban Livelihoods Mission shall be launched for large-scale skill upgradation, entrepreneurship development and providing wage employment and self-employment opportunities.
- The expenditure on Research & Development shall be increased from 1 percent to 2 percent of GDP.
- A Higher Education Credit Guarantee Authority shall be set up in order to provide limited credit guarantees through risk pooling for educational loans.
- The government will increase national Plan and Non-Plan public expenditure on health to 2.5 percent of GDP by the end of the 12th Plan.
- The National Rural Health Mission will be converted to a National Health Mission during the 12th Plan, which will also cover urban areas. Around 7 crore families will be provided health insurance cover under the Rashtriya Swasthya Bima Yojana by the end of the 12th Plan.
- A Multi-sectoral Nutrition Programme will be launched in 200 districts for maternal and child nutrition needs.
- A Department for Disability Affairs and the National Council for Senior Citizens shall be set up.
- Steps will be taken to reduce the gap of 10 million hectares between irrigation potential created and realized.
- A scheme for Minimum Support Price for minor forest produce is being considered.
- A roadmap to double merchandise exports to US$ 500 billion by 2013-14 has been prepared.
- Public sector banks shall be recapitalized to maintain their financial health.
- A scheme for promotion of the capital goods industry will be launched during the 12th Plan.
- Rs 17,500 crore shall be provided to the Delhi Mumbai Industrial Corridor for infrastructure projects.
- The National Electricity Fund shall be set up to provide interest subsidy on loans disbursed to State Power Utilities.
- Installed capacity of nuclear plants shall be increased to 10,080 MW from 4,780 MW by the end of the 12th Plan.