- IntroducedLok SabhaAug 14, 2014Gray
- PassedLok SabhaNov 26, 2014Gray
- PassedRajya SabhaDec 09, 2014Gray
- The Central Universities (Amendment) Bill, 2014 was introduced by the Minister of Human Resource Development, Ms. Smriti Zubin Irani, in the Lok Sabha on August 14, 2014. The Bill amends the Central Universities Act, 2009.
- The Statement of Objects and Reasons of the Bill states that the Bill seeks to set up a central university in Bihar, in addition to the existing one. It states that the large-scale requirement of access to, and quality in, higher education was not being met by just one university in the state. It also changes the name of the existing central university.
- Existing university: The Bill proposes to rename the existing Central University of Bihar, to Central University of South Bihar, as it is located south of the river Ganges.
- Proposed university: The new central university, proposed to be set up by the Bill, will be called Mahatma Gandhi Central University. It will be located in Motihari in East Champaran, Bihar, in the territory north of the river Ganges.
DISCLAIMER: This document is being furnished to you for your information. You may choose to reproduce or redistribute this report for noncommercial purposes in part or in full to any other person with due acknowledgement of PRS Legislative Research (“PRS”). The opinions expressed herein are entirely those of the author(s). PRS makes every effort to use reliable and comprehensive information, but PRS does not represent that the contents of the report are accurate or complete. PRS is an independent, not-for-profit group. This document has been prepared without regard to the objectives or opinions of those who may receive it.